Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Coastal Scents 28 Neutral Palette Part 1 (Review)

 Picture taken from the Coastal Scents website
Description: 
"This 28 piece eye shadow palette with defining colors comes with an assortment of neutral tones in shimmer and matte shades. Several of the powders will work as a shadow OR a blush! This palette is perfect for everyone when applying a natural effect makeup. Upcoming brides to be will especially benefit from the colors this palette has to offer."
-Coastalscents.com 
Dimensions: matte black case when closed = 9" x 5.97" x 0.41" (22.9cm x 15.2cm x 1cm)
pot diameter = 1" (2.5cm)
Ingredients: Talc, Mica, Mineral Oil, Kaolin, Titanium Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT. May contain: Mica and Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, Manganese Violet, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Chrome Oxide Greens, Chrome Hydroxide Green, FD&C Red No.40 Al Lake, FD&C Yellow No.5 Al Lake, FD&C Blue No.1 Al Lake.
Content Weight: 45.0g / 1.58oz
-Costalscents.com
 Pictures taken without flash and in natural light
 
I love the CS 28 Neutral Palette...but at the same time, I'm slightly disappointed. Before you write off Coastal Scents forever, let me explain.

I usually buy MAC Cosmetics and don't really feel bad about paying the extra cash for it. I've never been disappointed by any of their products and if I have it's only because I chose a color that didn't compliment my coloring. So after hearing rave reviews about the CS 28 Neutral Palette I decided to buy it (off of Amazon.com) since so many claimed that all of the shadows were MAC dupes. This is partly true. Some of the shades are dupes for MAC eyeshadows but others are slightly different or completely off. That didn't really bother me since I love neutrals and they're perfect for everyday looks. There is literally a million different ways you could use this palette so for $18.95 this is an amazing deal.

The reason why I'm slightly disappointed is because their quality is a little shabby. I know, I know. It was under $20 for the entire palette with 28 eyeshadows included. This made the price per shadow about $0.68 a shadow (compared to MAC's $14.50 price tag). The CS shadows have tons of fall-out and take a lot of layering to make the colors more vibrant. I'm sure if you used maybe Vaseline as a base it'd make the colors stand out more but I only used MAC Painterly Paint Pot because it's my tried and true base. I just wish they had better pay off and didn't have so much fall out. The packaging is a little flimsy too but like I said, you get what you pay for.

To put it simply this palette has a great value, especially if you're not willing to pay more money for MAC products. The downside is, since you want the cheaper price you're going to have to compromise on the quality of the product.

So to wrap the review part up...
Pros:
-Price
-Quantity
-Neutrals (you can use them for everyday and include colors appropriate for highlights, lids, crease and brow fillers)
-Some shadows are MAC dupes, while others are close

Cons:
-Flimsy packaging
-Fall out
-Weak color pay off (can be intensified with packing and layering) *Use a base/primer as well!

*Stay tuned for the Guide to The Coastal Scents 28 Neutral Palette (swatches+color descriptions and MAC dupes/similarities)*

Have you guys ever bought the CS 28 Neutral Palette? Did you love it or were you left disappointed? Let me know in the comments. I love hearing all of your opinions! :)





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want some nice color pay-off, the 88 Matte palette is fab. I have it if you want to try it before you buy it. The 28Neutral, I definitely agree with all your pros and cons.. but for sure take a peek at the 88Matte [Reg.].

Megalina said...

Ahh okay, I was thinking about trying the 88 Warm but I'll definitely take you up on your offer. Does the 88 Matte have neutrals or is it all different colors?

Anonymous said...

Pretty much all different colors. I would not consider it to be neutral AT ALL. The only time I probably ever use it is around Halloween. I wanted to buy the warm palette.