Monday, May 14, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey


I'm sure most of you have heard of the book that is taking the female world by storm. I literally just finished the trilogy last night and I'm sad that it's over. I'm secretly hoping that there will be a fourth installment. The series is dubbed 'mommy porn' because of it's mature nature and boy, is it mature! I almost felt embarrassed sitting there reading it haha. 

Basically the series evolves around two people, Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele. Grey is a control freak and that's putting it nicely. He's a multi billionaire at the tender age of 28. His business is mergers and acquisitions, think Edward from Pretty Woman. Actually, the book is vaguely similar to Pretty Woman but has a much darker side and Ana's not a prostitute. Ana is the innocent and just graduated college student from a middle class background and somehow Christian is drawn to her. Christian leads a dark lifestyle which he introduces to Ana and it involves BDSM. Be prepared to be somewhat stunned. It's not the sex that is the main concern of this story, though. It's all about control and the sex is just an outlet for that control that Christian needs so badly.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the series and not because it's a series worthy of literary achievement. I enjoyed it because it was fun to read. It pulls you in to a world that most people dream about. And hey, let's be honest, every girl wants to win the bad boy's heart and turn him into Prince Charming. It purely plays into that dream, the one we developed while watching Beauty and the Beast as little girls. And if you don't believe me, read the series and then pop in Beauty and the Beast. In a sense, we were programmed to want that kind of fairy tale, albeit dark even for Disney's standards. 

It's now going to be turned into a movie and excited is an understatement of how I feel. It's been bought by Universal Studios and Focus Feature. I'm praying that Ryan Gosling will be cast as Christian Grey. The whole time I read the series I imagined him a la Crazy Stupid Love. And here's a picture just to illustrate how perfect he'd be:
Oh yeah, I might have to remind you all to stop drooling now ;)

So, my request is that if you haven't read it, read it now. Go out to the store and buy a copy, if you can find it. Even if it's not necessarily you're thing, just try it out. You might be surprised. I sure was and I had been making fun of my mom for two weeks for reading it before I picked it up. I'm glad I did but let me warn you, it might make you look at your boyfriend, fiance, husband, etc. and make you want to morph them into Christian Grey. Hell, who wouldn't want a smart, excessively rich, sexy and protective boyfriend?!

So with that I'll leave you with some funnies that have been making me giggle.


Story of my life! Hey, a girl can dream...can't she? :)

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I've been hearing so much about this book! As soon as I finish the hunger games series, I'm defintely going to pick it up.

Reminds me of all the buzz surrounded Zane's Sex Chronicles. Which was basically reading porn- and it was raunchy! lol

Megalina said...

I loved the Hunger Games too! lol

I definitely recommend Fifty. It's a lot of fun to read but it is very raunchy! I'm totally addicted and am waiting at the edge of my seat for the movie updates haha.

Kay said...

I'm so excited its going to get made into a movie! It seems everyone has an idea of who they want to play Christian Grey's part. So far i agree with you! lol