Monday, February 20, 2012

My Current Skincare Routine




As an Aveda trained Esthetician, we're taught to not "cocktail" our skincare regimen, nor recommend that our clients "cocktail". However, there are bits and pieces from different systems that I love. Skin changes often, it's needs are not always the same so I feel it's okay to cocktail! Find what works for you, even if it doesn't fit into the same system.

A word of caution, though, if your skin has only one specific need, find a system that targets that issue and stick to only those products. You'll see better results. For complicated skin, such as mine, look around and see what you need.

My skin is acne-prone (mild), sensitive (redness) and a bit dry (seasonal). So I've found all different things that are tried and true, things I love and work for me. All of the products are from Aveda.
Cleansers
Outer Peace Foaming Cleanser
I use this cleanser when I'm feeling a breakout coming on. It can be a bit drying since my skin is on the drier side, at least for now since it's winter. When I feel a breakout coming on, I switch to this and it helps clear up my skin really fast. Plus, since acne-prone skin is also sensitive, it's okay for us sensitive people!
 
Tourmaline Charged Exfoliating Cleanser 
I use this when my skin is on the drier side and is in need of some good hydration. It has little beads that exfoliate and the cleanser is in a mango butter base. Pure luxury!

All Sensitive Cleanser
I use this when my skin is normal and I just want to calm any redness or heat I feel in certain areas of my face. My skin instantly feels calm. Plus this cleanser is super gentle and fragrance free. It's a cream cleanser so it's perfect for normal-dry skin that is sensitive

I cleanse my skin in the morning and the night. It's important to cleanse your skin twice a day, once a night to remove any toxins and impurities from the day and once when you wake up since your skin purges toxins while you're sleeping. I basically wet my skin, dab the cleanser onto my face, manipulate the cleanser and then remove with a damp washcloth. 




 Treatments
 
Deep Cleansing Herbal Clay Masque
Once a week, especially if I'm having a breakout, I'll smear a layer of this on my face and sit in the shower. I let my bathroom get really steamy because the steam helps the masque exfoliate and purge any congestion sitting underneath my skin. My skin feels like butter afterwards and my makeup applies beautifully. This is another good masque for sensitive skin. Remember to cleanse your skin before using! 


Botanical Kinetics Exfoliant
This is a great product because you can use it for all kinds of things. I'm an avid self tanner so I take a cotton ball, soak it in the Exfoliant and rub my dry areas with it. It dissolves dead skin to stop any flakiness. I also swipe it on my face before serum and moisturizer to help my makeup from flaking. It's also great for preventing ingrown hairs in your underarms or Brazilian areas!


Outer Peace Spot Treatment
This is like a little lotion, you just put it on a pimple and let it soak in. It doesn't sit on top of your skin like the Proactive one. It has 2% Salicylic Acid, which helps dry up the blemish. I like to use it after waxing my eyebrows and upper lip. Anyone who waxes their face will know that breakouts can happen. This helps prevent what I like to call the "pimple mustache".

Tourmaline Charged Radiance Fluid
This is a serum that helps increase cell turnover rate. I like to apply it to my skin after cleansing, exfoliant and toner but before my moisturizer. My skin just soaks it up to where it doesn't feel sticky and I couldn't even feel that I had put it on in the first place. It really helps my skin look it's best.

Toner/Eye Creme 




Botanical Kinetics Skin Firming/Toning Agent
I like to spritz this on my face right after cleansing. It's a good freshener as well. It smells like rose water and is hydrating, unlike a lot of toners on the market. Most companies sell toners that are highly astringent which are irritating to sensitive skin and too drying for dry skin.
  
Green Science Firming Eye Creme
I can't stress this enough: It doesn't matter how old you are, put on an eye creme everyday/night! It'll help fight fine lines and wrinkles so you won't have to stress over them when you're older. Plus, this one has a warm/cooling effect, decreases puffiness, encourages collagen production and is ophthalmologist approved. Whenever I feel sluggish and sleepy, I like to put this on and it helps wake me up, plus it makes me look more awake too.
Moisturizers 

Enbrightenment Correcting Creme
I like to use this when my skin is feeling dry. I prefer to use this at night so my skin can really absorb it. I love this because the consistency is smooth, thick and creamy but isn't sticky or too heavy. Plus, it smells beautiful. 
 
All Sensitive Moisturizer

Once again, I use this when my skin is feeling normal. It's light so it's perfect for underneath my makeup and it's aroma-free. I love this, my skin always feels beautiful after I put it on.

Outer Peace Acne Relief Lotion
I like to use this when my skin is having a break out. This usually isn't moisturizing enough for me but I love that it has Salicylic Acid, which helps to dry up any blemishes and aids in exfoliation. I prefer liquid exfoliation to mechanical. Once my breakouts are under control I usually have to go back to my All Sensitive because I need more hydration but it'd be perfect for those with oilier skin.

No comments: